Monday, May 24, 2010

Whatever tickles your fancy

I finally decided after years of my sewing machine not working to go get it looked at. Well it turns out I wasn't threading it quite right. Yes I am special.
Anyway I have been so excited to sew and I can't stop now.
I found a tutorial on a friends blog for a bubble skirt but didn't quite understand it so I called my friend, Kristin who is amazing at sewing and asked her to translate. She explained it to me and I made the skirt! You should have seen me as I was making it. I was so proud of myself. I showed it to Brian about 10 times trying to get him to scream with excitement but he wasn't quite that excited. I am learning that guys don't get that excited about sewing projects.


I thought this skirt would fit her in the fall but I tried it on her and it is already getting tight! It was so tight on her thighs that I had to bunch up the muslin (the fabric on the inside of the skirt) to go around her belly because it was too tight on her thighs.


My first project was this onesie. I cut out this fabric (on the left) and used wonder under to make it stick to the fabric. Then I looked at this tutorial to help me make the ruffles on the right. I changed it a little and finished the edges to make it look a little more polished. I also made a onesie with ruffles going all the way around but I forgot to take a picture.
I love to sew and it gives me such satisfaction to make things myself. I must say, though, that the time it took for me to do all of these things was a lot. I could never make a ton of these and sell them because I would NEVER see my kids. This is fun to do once in a while but I could easily get too consumed.

4 comments:

Beth H said...

beyond cute, Annelise! Sarah is s lucky to have a mom that makes her cute things like that. My kids have a mom that attempts things like that and 3/4 way through the project gets distracted, and then stuffs it in the closet and never finishes. But I love it, I need to get that skirt pattern!

Hoffmann Family said...

Sarah looks so cute in her skirt! Yay! I had those shoes for Madison when she was a baby!

mIcHeLLe said...

how cute!!!! what is wonder under??? I need one for my baby boy! where do you buy wonder under?

Heather and Eric said...

I am so impressed! You did such a g reat job! She looks just precious!