Thursday, April 21, 2011

Monster Applique Shirt plus Matching Pants

I have had a lot of people ask how to do these shirts so here is my little tutorial:


You will need:
A plain shirt to fuse your fabric onto
Fusible web (wonder under seems to be the favorite, but I only had heat n bond and that works too)
Fabric for your design (make sure you get extra fabric for the eyes and mouth, along with the body)
A pattern of your design
Thread





Start off by fusing your wonder under to your fabric. Follow the instructions that come with the wonder under on how to do that. You will want it to be a little bigger than the size of your monster design.


Print or draw your monster design, cut it out and pin it on the fabric that you just fused to the wonder under. Cut out the monster shape.


Follow the instructions on how to fuse the fabric of the body to the shirt. I just ironed it on.

Next, add the eyes, mouth and teeth.

Last, it is a very good idea to sew around the edges in case the wonder under doesn't stay fused onto the fabric. It should be fine but I do it just in case.


I added stitches for the eyes and a little bow for the monster hair. And that is it!

I decided to make some pants to match it. Really you can just buy any pants pattern for kids and add a 3 inch ruffle on the bottom! I bought some knit fabric from fabric.com. I love that website. They have lots of cute knit fabric that is hard to find. These pants are made for the fall so they are a little big.


I originally made these shirt for the boys because I saw some cute monster applique shirts from mini boden and wanted to try to make them. For the cropped pants, I just used a regular pants pattern for kids and cut them short and hemmed them. Pretty easy and cheap!

5 comments:

Alyse Burt said...

Your kind of a show off ;) May I copy you???

Erin said...

You are so creative. We need to try and do another sewing get together. Very cute!!!

Bonnie said...

Where did you get the patterns for you monsters? Would you mind sharing the template? I would love it! Thanks! <3

www.thebrownfamilyblog.com

bonniembrown@gmail.com

Bonnie :)

Unknown said...

I love this tutorial! I am in love with cute monsters and would love to make for our girls. Would you mind sharing your templates?
Hope so!
Thanks so much,
Debbie

The Wyler Family said...

i am planning a monster themed birthday party for my little girl. i would love to use your idea. do you have a template you'd be willing to share?

thanks!
debbie
wyler27 at gmail dot com