Monday, January 24, 2011

2 BIG projects

I love sewing but it sure does take a heck of a lot of time...
Especially when you decide to take on big projects.

Quilt for Brian

I am totally showing off but this is my first quilt and I am so happy that I got this done. This has been a project that I have been working on for maybe 7 years. Not continuously, but I took all of Brian and my shirt's from our days at the sorority/fraternity and cut them out, knowing that someday I would make a quilt. Those squares sat in my basement for years. Finally I decided to make the quilt to give to Brian for Christmas. I can't believe I got it done. It took FOREVER. I loved making it though. One of those shirts was our first date. This quilt has so many memories. I love it.


the back

Skirt for my sister Elizabeth

So Elizabeth is on a mission and she sent me a picture of a skirt that had lots of ruffles on it that she wanted. So of course I had to make her one. I used the nie nie pattern. This wasn't that easy because it is for a little girl so I had to make it a much bigger size. Plus I had to make it long enough for a missionary. I KNOW I KNOW I can't picture a missionary wearing this AT ALL but Lil is no ordinary missionary. Plus her mission president said that she could wear prints and any colors so I am just going to pretend that she will wear this everyday. This probably took me 3-4 days to make. I am guessing it took about 5 yards of fabric too. So I really hope she likes it. I am tempted to make one for me...

8 comments:

Desiree said...

I am stuck on hold on the phone so I started blog surfing. Holy cow, you rock! Love your projects.

Heidi said...

Lu-huv the skirt. That's awesome that she can wear that on her mish.

And the quilt is AMAZING! Great job! My mom just finally had our memory quilts made and gave them to us (all 7 kids) for Christmas this year. I know they cost her a fortune, but they are not nearly as cute as yours with the designer fabrics and all. But I still LOVE mine. What a special keepsake for you guys. All those years of holding on to tee shirts paid off (some of mine were from elementary school!). :) I can't wait to see yours in person!

Jennifer Phillips said...

I seriously am jealous of your sewing skills. If you are going to be teaching people for free, I want in on that:)

Alyse Burt said...

I want to make those skirts for the girls for Easter! Where did you get the pattern?

Annelise said...

It is the nie nie skirt pattern. I got it at the fabric store at gardner village (I can't remember what it is called for some reason) but I know they have it at Material Girls.

ashley g. said...

Seriously! How amazing are your mad skills? And you make Christmas CD's too?? I worship you!!

I love the skirt. Looks fabulous. And one day- when I make a quilt- I'm coming to you. You go, Sew-Sister!

Abigail said...

I can't believe we're from the same family- it's quite embarrassing, actually! You are very talented. LOVE the quilt you did for Bri Bri.

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

You are so talented! I love these!